So, today, on your way home from work, stop at the store and get these ingredients. For real. You can whip up this breakfast bake tonight while your making dinner and have a scrumptious brunch tomorrow AM with 1/3 of the effort that something this good should take. Plus, blueberries are in season right now, so lets get baking! Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
OVERNIGHT BLUEBERRY BAKE
- 12 pieces of white or potato bread
- 16 oz low fat cream cheese
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cup fresh blueberries, washed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup H20
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Cube bread and place on baking sheet, put in oven on broil at 450 for 2-5 minutes mixing halfway through to get a soft golden color. This dries the bread out so you get more absorption overnight. Let cool while you get everything else ready.
- Take a 13 x 9 baking dish and spray with non-stick spray. Place half bread cubes in bottom of dish and cover with cubed cream cheese (all 16 oz) and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Top with remaining bread.
- Beat 12 eggs, add milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and syrup. Mix together well and pour over dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- NEXT DAY: take out dish and allow to come to room temp (30-40 mins). Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins. Uncover and bake for an additional 30 mins. Test with a skewer or fork to insure center is done and skewer comes out clean.
- In small sauce pan add sugar, cornstarch and water and bring to a boil. Stir constantly to heat evenly and create syrup. Add blueberries and simmer over reduced heat for 5 minutes until blueberries start to burst. Stir in 1 tbsp of butter to finish sauce and pour over completed bake. Then all you need is your favorite cup of coffee or mimosa and breakfast is ready!
Happy baking and of course eating, until next time 😀