I am so sorry for my hiatus as of late. I have moved houses, and gotten married plus a multitude of other tasks. Thanks for patiently waiting for me, I promise lots of fun recipes in return 😀
As you all are well aware, its officially summer. Where the weather is hot, the parties are frequent, and the celebrating of sunshine is in full swing! So to your next gathering, or just because on a beautiful sunny afternoon, make this beauty up. I originally found this recipe on a blog called The Sweetest Occasion where Cyd Converse has many tasty treats to indulge in.
This cake is moist like banana bread, not to heavy and carries a sweet cinnamon/pumpkin accent with a dollop of honey cream cheese frosting. To be quite honest, its making my mouth water just thinking about it.
CINNAMON COCONUT BANANA CAKE, A REAL CROWD PLEASER
Serves: 12-16 depending on your slice size 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup powered sugar
- Spray a 9″ pan, set aside and pre-heat oven to 350.
- Mix together dry ingredients: baking powder, baking soda, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice; mix with fork and set aside
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and apple sauce. Whisk well. Mash bananas until thick and chunky and add to mix, folding into wet ingredients.
- Add coconut and gently mix
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Pour into pan, and pop into the oven, bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely prior to frosting.
- FROSTING: Whip cream cheese, honey and sugar until combined, place in piping bag and apply to cake in any pattern that makes you happy! I used dollops so that people could easily remove icing if they didn’t want it. Finish with a dash of cinnamon.
As always, happy cooking and of course eating, until next time! 😀