So we all know I love cooking, but perhaps what you didn’t know is that I LOVE cooking even more with other people. Learning new cuisine, or just having a night in making great dinner, drinks and having wonderful conversation is one of my favorite things to do.
GUESS WHAT. My wish came true. One of my very best friends invited me over for a cooking night date. We made things I could never pronounce even with practice, but the meal, conversation and evening were just divine. If you too would like to make a Hungarian dish, read along in my English translation below. It was very tasty! Also, this fantastic candid below is my face trying to interpret Hungarian… So pensive!
HUNGARIAN CHICKEN CREPES WITH DUCK FAT FRIES
Servings… I hazard to guess, we made three servings out of this dish, I will admit there was NO WAY I would calculate the calories. Duck fat alone… hehe
- Chicken Dish with potatoes:
- 1 pkg chicken quarters, approx 1.2 lbs
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 yellow onion, medium
- 2 large tomatoes
- duck fat and sunflower seed oil for frying
- paprika, salt
- 2 green onions
- 2 large white potatoes
- bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup rice flour (could use regular)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- Start by heating a medium sized stock pot with 1 tbsp sunflower seed oil, cube onion, add and reduce in pan until soft and golden brown. Place small sauce pan with water to boil. Season chicken quarters lightly with salt and paprika then add to pot. Turn heat down to med-high.
- Cook chicken, turning often as needed to get golden brown outside.
- While chicken is cooking peel your tomatoes by placing in hot water bath for 1 minute, then dousing in ice bath. Skin will easily peel after removal from ice bath.
- Quarter tomatoes and remove seeds, cut yellow pepper and remove seeds.
- After chicken is well cooked, add water to cover chicken. Add tomatoes and peppers, cover, reduce to low and cook for approx 45 minutes.
- With 15 minutes to go on the timer for your chicken make crepes and heat oil to fry potatoes.
- Fries: Simply cut white potatoes to desired size, and place in oil, turning often until crispy and golden brown. Remove, place on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- CREPES! I just whipped together a simple American recipe with flour, water, milk and eggs. Batter should be nice and runny. Heat large sauce pan, add approx 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter so that it thinly lines pan. Let cook for 30-45 seconds and flip.
- When chicken finishes cooking, remove from heat, remove meat, take off bone and coarsely chop. Scoop out tomato/pepper/onion mixture, reserve for topping crepes.
- Add this newly created filling to crepes, and roll.
- Once potatoes are done cooking, take rolled crepes, place in egg wash, then bread crumbs and fry.My fabulous friend Antal (see above)
- PLATING! Whew, this recipe was quite involved, but we’ve made it to the end. Place your freshly fried crepes on plate with potatoes and top with tomato/pepper sauce mixture and fresh scallions.
- You have now made your first Hungarian dish! Dig in, its fabulous!
Happy cooking, and of course eating! Maybe this time, grab a friend to help you 😀