So I was checking out the produce to see if something would wink at me to take home, and I came across a GINORMOUS head of cauliflower… Check her out, she is as big as a standard size cutting board.
Now, I normally do a roasted cauliflower with a yogurt topping full of herbs and spices. (Remind me to share this recipe, its delectable!) But as gorgeous as she is, I just knew she needed to be made into a fabulous, filling, flavorful soup. My recipe below is modified from a cauliflower soup created by the lovely Katie at Produce on Parade. She’s got some great vegan recipes on there for anyone interested!
And along with the soup excitement I have going on over here, we are going to be charting into new veggies too! A friend of mine was talking about her Co-Op that she belongs to, and inspired me to join one. Found a fabulous local CSP in Austin JBG Organic and I get my first delivery on Friday. Cannot wait, I already feel inspired to try and create new recipes.
SPICY TURMERIC CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Servings: 4/ 225 calories each
- large head of cauliflower, or two small cleaned and chopped
- large yellow onion
- chicken broth, 5 cups
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- fresh dill
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- spices: 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp turmeric, 1 tbsp cardamom, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, and 1 tbsp curry powder
- olive oil
- Place 1 tbsp olive oil in large stock pot on med-high heat. Add chopped onions, salt, turmeric, cardamom, black pepper and red pepper flakes and lightly saute. When becomes aromatic, add minced garlic.
- Add chicken broth and chopped cauliflower head and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer until cauliflower is tender. Takes approx 15-20 minutes time.
- Remove from heat and use immersion blender to turn into thick soup making sure to blend until all chunks have resolved. Add coconut milk and fresh dill to completed soup.
- Stir to combine, and place back on heat for 3-5 minutes to ensure all soup is at warm temp after combined coconut milk.
5. Divide into four portions, or more if you desire and serve!
Happy cooking, and of course eating 😀