I was driving home from work the other day when it hit me… I really wanted cornbread and chili. Walked into the house, checked the fridge and it was a little meager to say the least. Grabbed the left over chicken and hit the pantry to make this craving a reality. Here she is folks, a homemade Meghann designed and manufactured masterpiece. Perfect for this rainy day in Austin.
LEFTOVER CHICKEN CHILI & GINGER, CURRY, CORNMEAL WAFFLES
Servings: 4, 555 cal/each (includes one waffle with each portion of chili)
- 2 chicken breasts pre-cooked or in my case grilled
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can white cannillini beans, rinsed
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel
- Chix stock, 1 1/2 C
- corn meal
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 extra large egg (a large would do with an extra tbsp of milk)
- Spices: ginger, curry powder, red chili flakes, taco seasoning (reduced sodium) and garlic
- ***SPECIAL SUPPLIES NEEDED*** waffle iron
- Heat up waffle iron. Place large stock pot on stove, add beans, tomatoes, Rotel, Chix stock, 1 tbsp garlic, 3 tbsp taco seasoning and 1/2 tbspblack pepper. Stir to break up some of the stewed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Secret here is I would have REALLY loved to add corn, but I didn’t have any. So if its available, I would add a cup of frozen corn or one can to mixture.
2. Dice up your cooked chicken and add to skillet. Once your stock is boiling, add a laddel to two to the chicken to cook and not only flavor, but re-instill the moisture into your chicken.
3. When moisture is absorbed into chix, remove from burner. Turn stock/veggies down to low to simmer and reduce.
4. WAFFLE TIME! Grab a bowl, add 1 cup corn meal 1 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp curry powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix, then add milk, egg and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix and add to well greased waffle pan and GO!
5. Dish out your veggies/stock equally, top with chicken and your waffles and BOOM! Ready to consume.
Happy cooking, and of course eating! 😀