Ever have a bunch of veggies laying around and you don’t feel like roasting them? Make a soup! This one in particular uses asparagus, but could be subbed for multiple other veggies lurking in the fridge close to their date so they don’t go to waste!
Mhmmmm Asparagus Soup
Servings: 2, 348 calories/each
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- red pepper flakes, and sea salt
- 1lb of asparagus chopped with tips placed off to side
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic (fresh)
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to medium stock pot to warm. Place 3 cups of water in smaller stock pot to boil. Chop garlic and onion and add to pot medium pot. Cook until start to brown and are fragrant. While this is occurring, take your asparagus, chop off tips and coarsely chop remaining stalks.
2. Placed chopped stalks into onion mixture and saute until soft, approx 5 minutes.
3. Prepare ice bath. When small stock pot is boiling, blanch tips of asparagus for approx 45 seconds to one minute. Then place in ice bath to cease cooking.
4. When asparagus stalks are soft, add 4 cups chicken stock and one cup water to pot and bring to a boil. Add 2 cups fresh spinach and remove from heat. Use immersion blender until desired texture and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil over top.
5. Dish out evenly and distribute asparagus tips, then enjoy.
Happy cooking, and of course eating!