When watching calories it helps to replace noodles with veggies. This endeavor was successful with eggplant, recipe is fairly easy, and makes a pan full of deliciousness! This recipe was found and adapted from the Lovely Julie at Table for Two food blog.
Easy Eggplant Parmesan
Servings: 4 @ 452 calories each
- 2 small eggplant or one large (the one I used was 775gm)
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
- Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 12 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese
- lots of fresh basil!
1. Start with the eggplant, cut your eggplant into 1/2″ thick slices and cover in salt. Place in colander or bowl and let sit to drain excess moisture for 1 hour.
2. Brush of access salt to avoid your dish being too salty, set aside.
3. Set up your egg wash and bread crumb mixtures. In one bowl place the low fat milk and eggs, and whisk together. Second bowl place Panko bread crumbs and any spices that strike your fancy. I used about a tbsp of garlic, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
4. Get a sauce pan going hot, add one tbsp of olive oil to pan. Cover a 13×9 pan in foil and preheat oven to 375.
5. Start the coating process, take each piece of eggplant, dredge in egg wash and then coat in bread crumb mixture, both sides and placed on foil sheet. When sauce pan is hot, start to add to pan and lightly fry on each side. Repeat process until all slices have been browned.
6. Grab a 9 x 9 plan or another cooking safe pan of similar size. Add a layer of your pasta sauce to bottom and spread evenly. Then add eggplant, shredded mozzarella cheese and chopped basil… In my opinion the more basil the better 🙂
7. Layer until reaches the top, ending with a layer of cheese and basil. Cook for 40-45 minutes so eggplant is soft to cut through.
8. SERVE and devour, so delicious
As always thanks for reading, happy cooking, and of course eating! 🙂